rsync or replacement backup

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 19 23:35:16 UTC 2008

On 05/19/2008 12:58 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     I was in hope what I saw today was a good way to use rsync but I was
> wrong. The method presented was not complete and didn't work as written.
> This seems to be a big problem with rsync :-)
>
>     What I want to see is a way to use rsync and be able to tell it a
> few directories to not back up. Or, as good would be a way to tell it to
> only backup these directories. What I use now is not good but it works.
> Here it is:

FWIW: you might want to explore grsync which is a GUI for rsync. Granted
 it's not as powerful as command line rsync, but I've found it pretty
useful for rsync'ing my laptop across my LAN as well as remotely using
ssh. See: http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/
Also, it's in the repos, so 'sudo apt-get install grsync' will do the
trick & then you'll find it in Applications|Internet

Note: for easy ssh sync'ing:

sudo apt-get install ssh-askpass (or ssh-askpass-gnome)

Then when you get ready to connect to the target/remote via ssh, enter
the following in the destination:

remoteuser at remotehost:/remote/dir

ssh-askpass will then pop up with the ssh prompts for the password etc.

You might also find these helpful:

http://rsync.samba.org/
http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/