Why so big?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun May 18 23:48:01 UTC 2008

Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun May 18 2008 15:18:11 Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Mike Bird wrote:
>>     Mike your not thinking right. /boot is a DIRECTORY off of /. When I
>> tried to umount it did the expected:
>>
>> karl at karl-desktop:/$ sudo umount /boot
>> [sudo] password for karl:
>> umount: /boot: not mounted
>> karl at karl-desktop:/$ sudo umount boot
>> umount: boot: not mounted
>> karl at karl-desktop:/$
>>
>>     It is not smart enough to say it's a directory but that is the
>> problem. So I think your search for 4 Gb of free space is just not going
>> to work.
>>

> Karl,
>
> I did not suggest that you use the procedure on your /boot.  I suggested
> that you use the procedure "for each of your mounts that is (a) a real
> file system and (b) not the root file system."  I illustrated with
> my /boot, which is a mount point on most of my systems.
>
> You have a rather unusual selection of mount points.  I suggest you try
> /f7home first, then /home, then /var/lock, then /var/run.  They are
> listed roughly in increasing likelihood that you'll need to take action
> such as shutting down your desktop or rebooting in recovery mode.
>
> --Mike Bird

    Well it was impossible to do anything with the computer running so I
dropped out and got the CD working. There I found a thing I called
/home/oldkarl and it was large so I deleted it. All else looked fine and
just did a df and it is good now. Here it is:

/dev/hda8              9187068   2894196   5826188  34% /

So my partition is too big now :-)

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI