OT: Re: Computer loosing time

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 16 17:12:37 UTC 2008

On 05/16/2008 09:38 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> This is all kinds of incorrect.  I may not know all the nitty hardware
> details, but here's what I know of how Linux works.
>
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> In the case where the system is set to use UTC, with a working network
>> connection at boot, Ubuntu goes out and gets the time from Canonical by
>> default. For example, on the laptop that has the dead CMOS battery I
>> booted without changing the clock. If I do 'sudo hwclock -r' it shows:
>>

> This has nothing to do with whether the cmos clock is in UTC or not.  If
> NTP service is installed (It's not by default in any of the Ubuntu
> systems I've installed so far, but that may be an option in the
> installer dialogues I skip),  Then the time will by synced with the
> ubuntu server on boot, as you say.

I think you are forgetting about ntpdate.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ntpdate - you'll find it in Gutsy et al

I do not have ntp installed on that machine, I do not have the time
settings to use ntp, in fact the only settings that were done were those
done during install setting to my local time zone and setting to UTC.
It's a fresh, fully updated Hardy install.

Ubuntu comes with ntpdate & it is run once at boot. Here you go, from my
router logs on that machine:

192.168.3.108:123 to ntp.ubuntu.com(91.189.94.4):123

Have a look in /etc/default/ntpdate and you will find the default
NTPSERVERS="ntp.ubuntu.com"