Debian or Ubuntu?

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Thu May 15 01:00:02 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 02:42 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> And yet dist-upgrade has worked on my Debian machines for years now.

> No it didn't. Never did, not in the way that is required for Ubuntu's
> target users. I used Debian a lot, and every dist-upgrade required
> manual dependency resolution, editing of conf files, etc. Fine for
> Debian, but not for Ubuntu.

    Ok, let me be blunt.  At no time in my memory of many, many upgrades
across 2 desktops, 1 laptop, 2 rackmounts, 2 Xen VMs and 1 Virtosso VM has
Debian's method of upgrading ever left my machines *UNBOOTABLE*.  *EVER*!
This is now the /third/ Unbuntu upgrade that has left my machine unbootable.

    Hate to tell you but I tend to value a machine to which I can boot a tad
higher than worry about your non-existent dependency "resolution problems" and
 preferred manual conf file edits.  Both of which, I dunno...  REQUIRE THE
MACHINE TO BOOT BEFORE YOU WORRY ABOUT IT!

    Good thing this is an alternative install on my game machine and I have 3
other viable machines to get myself out of this mess.  If this were my only
machine that Ubuntu just crapped on I would be quite pissed and looking
elsewhere for an OS.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...