Debian or Ubuntu?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu May 15 05:22:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 18:00 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Ok, let me be blunt.  At no time in my memory of many, many upgrades
> across 2 desktops, 1 laptop, 2 rackmounts, 2 Xen VMs and 1 Virtosso VM has
> Debian's method of upgrading ever left my machines *UNBOOTABLE*.  *EVER*!
> This is now the /third/ Unbuntu upgrade that has left my machine unbootable.

Yeah, well, bad luck. Of my ~15 Ubuntu upgrades, none left the machine
unbootable, and IIRC 1 or 2 left them without X. I also doubt that the
method of upgrading, if done right, has any effect on this - after all,
your new kernel doesn't boot, and it doesn't matter how it got there.

I was talking about the thousands of cases that _would make machines
unbootable if the Ubuntu target users were forced to upgrade the Debian
way. Do you not see the questions that are asked on this very list?