more than one distro

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Tue May 13 12:11:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 1:21 PM, mike <mike at mga.demon.co.uk> wrote:
<--snip-->

>  I missed the advanced button on the seventh step which reinstalled grub.
>  So that's two reasons for thumbs down for Ubuntu. Therefore, anyone
>  installing Ubuntu on a system with another existing distribution, ensure
>  that you press the advanced button on the seventh step and select not to
>  install a boot loader.
<--snip-->
Hi Mike!
I'm dual booting and have always installed the boot loader into the
MBR. I haven't had problems with that. Also, on my Dell notebook, the
recovery, media, and utility (advanced BIOS/diagnosing partition)
partitions were all correctly identified and were present in the boot
loader.
Also, you can check the UUIDs on your local machine (even from a live
cd!) by issuing the following command
ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/
or the respective mounted directory when using a live cd.

Your first problem might be related to the PATA and SATA hdds in your
PC, I allways had either PATA or SATA. But blaming those UUIDs isn't
the answer. I've repartitioned myself and only had to edit the entry
for my swap space.

Cheerio

Phil Bieber
--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
 To reduce the risk of shock,
 Do not remove the cover of this book.
 No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber at gundlach.de