Debian or Ubuntu?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue May 13 05:40:10 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Can you give an example of something that is worse in Ubuntu than Debian
> for servers?  That is, if you didn't already have Debian would there be
> a reason to use it?

Yes.  More supported CPU architectures.

We are gradually moving from Ubuntu Dapper Drake over to Debian Lenny
for the specific reason that we need UltraSPARC support too, which
Ubuntu has now dropped officially.  Yep, we run GNU/Linux in our SPARC
boxes!  Yes, I know, we've got three more years of support for Ubuntu
Server 6.06.  That's why we're doing the migration gradually.

Not a server-related point, but this multiplatform support is good for
me at home as well.  I've got a PowerBook G3 Pismo that I take with me
to South America to demonstrate GNU/Linux.  Why that box?  Two reasons.
First, if it gets broken or stolen, the financial loss is terribly low.
Second, *nobody* expects an Apple laptop to be running GNU/Linux!  It
does get attention.  :-)  That Pismo currently runs Ubuntu Dapper PPC en
español.  It will probably get Debian Lenny next.

--TP