Hibernation woes

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 11 22:09:36 UTC 2008

On 05/11/2008 10:56 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Or perhaps it might be easier to use a swap file instead:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
>> [How do I add more swap?]
>
> It's an option if hibernation works with swap files - I wasn't sure, and I
> don't see anything in there (otoh, it specifically mentions needing swap
> for hibernation, but doesn't say it _won't_ work with a file).
>
> That's the first time I've seen that swap files should be as fast as swap
> partitions, now.  Nice to hear, because it really simplifies setup (though
> it really should be possible to use mkswap to specify the size, instead of
> having to go through dd).

I wasn't aware of it either until this thread & the fact that I'd just
reinstalled another drive just to increase the swap partition on that.
That was a major PITB, so I gave tried the swap _file_ method on my
laptop and it worked great. Fired up my other old lapbrick (Clevo 350Mhz
w/128Mb) and did the same on that one, so twice tested (on Hardy -
Gnome) & both without any problems whatsoever.

Note: I've also tried it by commenting out the swap_file_
'# /mnt/1024Mb.swap  none  swap  sw  0 0' (reboot)
and free then returns to the standard partition size - put it back in
(reboot) and walla! I now have the added swap space (partition plus
swapfile). :-)