Is USB over ethernet possible

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri May 9 16:47:08 UTC 2008

2008/5/9 Chris G <cl at isbd.net>:
> Going on from that recent question about ethernet over USB is the
> opposite possible?
>
> I.e. I have two Linux boxes networked and one has a USB device that I
> would like to be able to see as a USB device from the other Liux box.
> Can that be done?

At home I have two Ubuntu machines on a router, each with their own
LAN IP address (DHCP). One has SSH enabled. I can plug a USB device
into that machine, which is automagically mounted in /media/usbstick.
I can then SSH into that machine and browse the USB stick.

Now, as for mounting a USB webcam, I would imagine that it can be done
by mounting the remote /dev/video locally but I've never tried. What
other USB devices did you have in mind?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il