Audio CDs and Ubuntu 7.10

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed May 7 22:25:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 19:20 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Hi, I have burned some CDs as audio cds with "Nero Linux" but I can't
> make them play under Ubuntu 7.10. They are "recognised" as Blank
> CD-ROMs. They play OK in a DVD-player connected with my TV monitor.

This *might* happen if they are encrypted commercial DVDs, if you don't
have libdvdcss (but I can scarcely remember not to have had it, so I#m
not sure). In any case:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

> Also I can't make normal Audio CDs play under Ubuntu 7.10. These are
> recognised as "CD-ROM Disc", but still can't make them play under VLC
> and Totem.

I haven't seen this, ever. With actual Audio CDs, that is, that have the
Audio CD logo. Note, however, that many labels nowadays intentionally
violate the Red Book Audio CD standard (and in this case do not have the
logo on the package) to implement half-assed DRM and prevent the CD from
being recognized by computers (except if you use a crappy player that
comes on the CD). These CDs may act like you describe. Some of these DRM
schemes have workarounds (like holding Shift while inserting the CD).
Check google for these.