Audio CDs and Ubuntu 7.10

Ioannis Vranos ivranos at freemail.gr
Sat May 10 16:34:23 UTC 2008

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> OS: Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
>

> Hi, I have burned some CDs as audio cds with "Nero Linux" but I can't
> make them play under Ubuntu 7.10. They are "recognised" as Blank
> CD-ROMs. They play OK in a DVD-player connected with my TV monitor.
>
> Also I can't make normal Audio CDs play under Ubuntu 7.10. These are
> recognised as "CD-ROM Disc", but still can't make them play under VLC
> and Totem.
>

> Has anyone else encountered such problems?

I have installed many codecs (although I think it is not a codec issue,
I am talking about old Audio CDs that were playing OK all these years,
and even under CentOS/SL 4.x x86, 5.x x86 which do not come with any
non-free codecs.

Still my system mounts the Audio CDs as an empty "CD-ROM Disc",
sound-juicer doesn't recognise them.

The only change that I made recently, is that I changed the CD/DVD
recorder that I am using for playing CDs/DVDs too, with a new one, since
the old one was malfunctioning.

Perhaps it has something to do with it.

My /etc/fstab:

john at john-desktop:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/hdc3
UUID=d8190421-05fc-4644-ad51-3164c4a8ab33 /               ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/hdc2
UUID=3d48355b-d6da-475f-a418-be481dbfdf4f /boot           ext3
defaults        0       2
# /dev/hdc1
UUID=7a84ed6b-0635-4380-9e71-b61ea6ca18d1 none            swap    sw
          0       0
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec 0       0
john at john-desktop:~$

CentOS/SL have a program named kudzu that scans for changed/new hardware
and keeps a database file of the hardware. Perhaps there is a similar
service for Ubuntu?

How does Ubuntu keeps track of the installed hardware?

Thanks a lot,

Ioannis