VirtualBox causing big peaks in CPU

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 7 21:05:10 UTC 2008

On 05/07/2008 01:33 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> A Windows XP guest will require at least a few hundred MB RAM to run
>> properly,
>
> That's interesting, because I'm sure the GUI _recommended_ 192MB for XP
> Home, and that's what I've always used with complete success.
>
> fyi, since I'm participating in threads about VBox and about hibernation
> right now, it seems apropos to mention that setting that number too high
> will also guarantee that you can't hibernate with the VM running.  I can
> hibernate my machine with XP running in a VM, but my wife can't because she
> doesn't have enough swap space to store that extra 192MB (and I don't think
> the Windows memory image compresses down much if at all).

Keep in mind that is from the the 1.6.0 documentation. I can't seem to
locate the 1.5x version right now.

However, you are right regarding the GUI; on 1.5.6 the recommended
_base_ is 192 for WinXP, 168 for Win2K, and 512 for Vista.  It's easy to
check, just start a "New" machine. I can start my Win2KP at 168MB just
fine, I just added some meg for memory intensive apps as I'm not sure
how they will react in the VM. I'll keep it running at 168 (Win2KP) and
see if I bump into any problems with app memory.