8.04 Upgrade Failure - tzdata (and many others)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 6 18:30:29 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

>> My first attempt would be to change my timezone to something that would
>> have actually been tested, like America/New York, then you could change
>> it back after the install if that works.
>
> Actually Atikokan has been tested and been in the tzdata file list for
> quite some time. And for hardy still is:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/all/tzdata/filelist
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Atikokan

My point there is that there's a fair likelihood that nobody will have
tested the _upgrade_ with Atikokan.  My bet is that Atikokan will have
approximately 50 Linux users (I'm not joking, though it's a rough estimate
based on just my first figure googled for % linux usage).  Make that 15
Ubuntu users.  Notably more if the high school has a computer club.

> As noted in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tzdata/+bug/210691
> the deb package somehow is referring to
> ./usr/share/zoneinfo/
> instead of
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/
>
> Bill should add on to that bug to help confirm what the OP of that bug
> reported.

Sure - but it can't be happening to everybody (in fact, I know from
experience that it isn't happening to everybody) - leading one to suspect
that with some timezones, it's not an issue.
--
derek