8.04 Upgrade Failure - tzdata (and many others)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 6 17:18:53 UTC 2008

On 05/06/2008 09:04 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote:

>>> Is Atikokan _still_ out of step with the rest of the world?  I remember
>>> 40 years ago being told it was on "Railway time", but I don't imagine
>>> it's much of a railway town, anymore.
>>
>> Probably.  But, any idea how to get around that?  I suppose I need to
>> find the install script and see why it's unable to make a backup.
>
> My first attempt would be to change my timezone to something that would have
> actually been tested, like America/New York, then you could change it back
> after the install if that works.

Actually Atikokan has been tested and been in the tzdata file list for
quite some time. And for hardy still is:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/all/tzdata/filelist
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Atikokan

As noted in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tzdata/+bug/210691
the deb package somehow is referring to
./usr/share/zoneinfo/
instead of
/usr/share/zoneinfo/

Bill should add on to that bug to help confirm what the OP of that bug
reported.