8.04 Upgrade Failure - tzdata (and many others)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 5 16:35:46 UTC 2008

Bill Moseley wrote:

>  unable to make backup link of `./usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Atikokan'

Is Atikokan _still_ out of step with the rest of the world?  I remember 40
years ago being told it was on "Railway time", but I don't imagine it's
much of a railway town, anymore.

>  before installing new version: Operation not permitted

That hardly looks fatal.  Odd.

> Then I tried to reboot:
>
> 1) upon reboot I was sent to a shell prompt and told to run fsck.
> fsck reported many bad blocks.  I had run fsck before the upgrade and
> have never seen any problems.  Not sure if the upgrade could have
> caused that or if fsck is reporting wrong.

More likely your drive was already bad.

> Is it worth trying to fix or is it time for a clean install?

I'd want to (a) fix everything fsck can fix - there's no way you can count
on the system working if you're running off a bad filesystem; then (b)
run "aptitude -f install" to make sure that the install is really complete
(sounds like it probably isn't).
--
derek