Ubuntu to Notebook HP

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 5 06:22:51 UTC 2008

Marcelino Quintanilha wrote:
> I Have a note book HP Pavilion DV6445us with two partitions.
> On the first one partition  is instaled the OS Win XP prof and in the
> second one partition is instaled Win Vista Home Premiun Portuguese.
> I Would like to install the Ubuntu in another HD USB 2.0 case ext. And
> boot by setup. In this way the Ubuntú instalation wound not affect the
> OS's that are instaled. Another way woul be using a third lógic
> partition that is used to back up my files.

I think it would be better to use the external disk for backup. If the
backup is on the same disk as the original data, the backup is gone as
well, if the disk fails. Therefore, I would recomend to rethink your
backup setup.

If I understand it correctly, you would prefer a setup which doesn't
modify the disk inside your machine, and Ubuntu only starts if the
external disk is connected and you select booting from the external disk.
That is surely possible, but I don't know if the Ubuntu installer can
handle that requirement correctly. There might be problems making the
grub boot manager use the right partitions. Therefore I would recommend
to install Ubuntu to the partition which is used for backup now.

> Could someone tell me what kind of Ubuntu (in portuguese) I woul have
> to download and where download the Ubuntu that coul run in my note
> book? The Note book Pavillion 6445 us has the following configuration:
> Microprocessor = AMD Turion 64 x2 - TL-56 1.80 Ghz, 2048 Mb in two
> memory ram  Dimm dual chanel 1 Gb whith one.
> -NVIDIA Driver=  Ge Force 6150 Go, motherboard= Quanta 30 B7 65.2B.

Download the iso image from <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>
(you should have javascript enabled). Select the "Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop
Edition". While your machine could use the 32 bit or 64 bit version, I
would prefer 32 bit. On some machines the Live CD doesn't work properly.
Then you can select the alternate CD on the download page which will give
you a text installer. You will select your language during the
installation and the appropriate language packages will be fetched from
the internet.

Nils