On Buying Another Computer, Or A Mother Board And Harddrive

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun May 4 22:00:38 UTC 2008

Bar Meshiaka wrote:
> Friends,
>
>        I was asked not to use the HTML format in writing posts here, but I do not know how to change our computer settings, so please forgive me for writing this post in the way it is written.
>
>   A few days ago, we bought a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 and a copy of Hardy Heron 8.10 OS off of the internet.
>
>   We have a 2-1/2-year-old HP Media Center PC and as it turns out, it's got a rootkit in the BIOS of the computer.

    An idea is to goto HP and see if you can get an updated BIOS for
your model. Or you can just get a copy of the current BIOS and delete
the currupted BIOS and load the new.

    Before you expose your fixed computer to the Internet, make sure you
use a good password on Ubuntu. One will look like this:

qW3erB9a

    This is hard for you to remember and your Hacker will go nuts :-)

I write my password on a sticky tag and it's right where I can see it.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User