http://youtube.com/watch?v=fDmp967UMds

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Sun Mar 30 20:20:42 UTC 2008

>> Just to be certain here, are you running 7.10 amd64
>> or are you running a
>> 32 bit version? Also if you installed
>> flashplugin-nonfree from reps it
>> probably didn't work and you will want to download
>> the tar.gz file from
>> adobe and run the installation program, making sure
>> you
>> specify /usr/lib/firefox as the install path.
>>

> lchata at ubuntu64:/etc/network$ uname -a
> Linux ubuntu64 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12
> 02:46:46 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Looks like 64 bit. I have flashplugin-nonfree,
> Version: 9.0.48.0.2+really0ubuntu12.2, automatically
> installed and it says "This package will download the
> Flash Player from Adobe." It is from the
> multiverse/web section.
> Apparently, I don't have the Adobe Flash Player
> installed though as an aptitude search doesn't show
> anything. I'm really new on the 64 bit OS, so please
> be specific on what I need to do.
> Thanks,
Before you do something bad: since Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) you can install
the flashplayer-nonfree package without problems on a 64 bit system. I
have several 64 bit Desktop Systems running and since Gutsy no
problems with flash and firefox. (But there were some errors in the
past with the Adobe flash plugin CRC checksum. Adobe made a new
version available and so the checksum for the
install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz saved in the Gutsy package was
incorrect.) But an updated version should be already available. So it
is enough to install the flash-nonfree package with your favourite
package manager. Nothing to wonder about 32 bit libraries and so on.
The package manager takes care of this! The flashplugin-nonfree will
connect to the site of Adobe, download the flashplayer for Linux and
install it. That's why you will not see the Adobe Flash Player in your
package list.

By the way: I use 64 Bit Ubuntu for a long time now! Since Gutsy most
desktop problems are solved easily most of the time ;-)! The only
thing I have not yet achieved is to get Neverwinter Nights and X2
running under 64 Bit Linux. I had no time to solve this, but for that
I have a second 32 Bit system up and running ;-).

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Hope this helps

Michael