Can't read any DVD, and can't mount the dvd drive

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 28 20:49:59 UTC 2008

On 03/28/2008 01:41 PM, Ashley Benton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM, NoOp
>> >

>> Great. Now, can you put a standard cd - for example your ubuntu cd into
>> the dvd drive and see if you can read the files on it from Nautilus
>> (Places|Home Folder)?
>

> No I can't see the cd or open it by computer and double clicking on the
> drive, the computer doesn't see it. I have a green light that appear in the
> dvd drive when I close it and nothing. I can eject the cd manually when
> usually I can't before I eject it by clicking on eject first.
>
> Thanks
>
> Meg

Then you probably have a hardware problem. I'd first check to make sure
that the dvd drive is clean. Also see if you can boot from it (be sure
to set your bios to allow booting from that drive) - put your ubuntu cd
into it and see if it recognizes the cd and boots. If that doesn't work,
then I'd go hunting for loose connections to the drive.