X startup woes

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 16:19:37 UTC 2008

Used to have a dual head working on Dapper.

Then I upgraded to Gutsy and it broke.

Didn't have time to mess with it so I just lived
on the smaller screen on the right.

Now I'm starting to work on something where
I need it to work again.

Have two ati cards.  Saw some pages on the
web that said I had to use the proprietary
driver to work dual head.

Tried the versions in the repositories,
no luck.  Saw reports on the we of not getting
it to work till newer versions of fglrx were installed.

Downloaded the latest from ati.
Built and installed .debs

Didn't work.

Went back to working xorg.conf for the bigger screen on the left uses
the free ati driver.  (I have accomplished something!!)

Uh! Oh!!! It doesn't work any more.  X comes up, I get a login screen, I
login,
but instead of my desktop, I get a white screen with a cursor that I can
move with the mouse, nothing else.  Apparently some other config file
got clobbered.

Should have quit while I was ahead with just the big screen working.

--
Drew Einhorn