acer laptop problems with wireless and printing

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Mar 27 21:01:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a friend who has an Acer TravelMate 2480 laptop. I've been trying to
get him to use Ubuntu instead of the currently installed MS Windows XP
Professional. I partitioned the disk and installed Ubuntu 7.10 on one
partition. He now has a working dual boot. The problem area are only two but
I can't seem to make any headway on them.

For one thing, he has a Atheros AR5007EG wireless network NIC. This doesn't
work in Ubuntu although it does in Windows. I could add a USB wireless NIC
and then could presumably pick one for which there is good support (is there
one like that?) but my friend assures me that carrying it around is a pain in
the extremity and he would not likely do so, losing a huge amount of
functionality and in practice making the conversion to Linux fail. I've found
solutions advertised using nswrapper and a workaround using a source only
package that I could in principal compile and link to test. This, even if it
works, seems like a huge fuss, given the very large numbers of these laptops
on the market - is there really no better solution?

Another problem is that this laptop has no parallel port, so he can not plug
in his Canon 4100 printer - it is parallel only. He has a USB to parallel
adapter cable. This works fine with his desktop system (XP) just by plugging
it in. Connects, installs the driver, prints, just as advertised. But I can
not get it to work in either XP Pro or Ubuntu 7.10 on the laptop. No idea
why. Have (on Windows) updated everything in sight and the manufacturer's
driver CD contains only an unhelpful note that XP will recognize it
automatically. For the desktop unit that seems to be borne out, so why not on
the laptop? A Windows solution (I know this is the Ubuntu list) would be
handy, a solution on Ubuntu even better.

Ideas? Pointers to docs?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007