Graphical remote login

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Mar 27 12:19:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 08:59:57PM +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > I have 2 Ubuntu machines on the same subnet. On machine "A" which is
> > running kdm, I configured the following in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
> >
> > [Xdmcp]
> > # Whether KDM should listen to incoming XDMCP requests.
> > # Default is true
> > Enable=true
> >
> > I left the rest of this clause as delivered.
> >
> > Then I restarted kdm on machine "A". On machine "B", which is running
> > gdm, I went to the menu in the lower left on the gdm screen, and
> > requested it to do an xdmcp scan for possible remote login machines. It
> > did not show any.
> >
> > What I am trying to do is set up so that I can run the desktop (window
> > manager) from machine "A" on machine "B".
>
> I think, in kde3/kdm/kdmrc on machine A you need to change the line
>
> ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp

> ServerArgsLocal=
>
> because with "-nolisten tcp" you can't connect to the server.
K, with this, and a few edits to /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess I am know able to
get a kdm login screen on machine "B". Now I would like to be able to do
this on machine "C". Machine "C" is not on the same subnet, and does not
seem to see machine "A". Is the xdmcp broadcast not routable? If this is
the case, is there a way to "relay" it?

programs.