Graphical remote login

stan stanb at panix.com
Thu Mar 27 17:17:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 09:52:40AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> stan wrote:

> >> I think, in kde3/kdm/kdmrc on machine A you need to change the line
> >>
> >> ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp

> >> ServerArgsLocal=
> >>
> >> because with "-nolisten tcp" you can't connect to the server.
> >>

> > Interesting. So I missed that. I'm suprised that these 2 settings seem to
> > control the same thig. I will try this.
>
> I don't think they do - it's ages since I used xdmcp (what you want to do
> is, imo, much better handled by using NX) but "-nolisten tcp" suggests to
> me that it can also listen on Unix sockets

I have it working now, at least on the same subnet. Got loged into legacy
HP-UX machines using CDE, and Ubuntu, both. It works well.

Yes the UNIX sockets is how it works on the local machine. But I still
think that the 2 settings control the same thing. UNIX sockets don't have
port numbers.

Thanks for the help.
programs.