UUID confusion revisited

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Mar 25 22:40:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 08:04 -0700, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:56 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>
> > sna at WS222:~$ UUIDcomp
> > bash: /usr/local/bin/UUIDcomp: Permission denied
> > sna at WS222:~$
>
> Easier way to install scripts is:
>
> sudo install <scriptname> /usr/local/bin
>
> The install program sets all the permissions to make the script
> executable for you. I always keep copies of any local scripts I write in
> a source directory e.g. /usr/local/src, usually with the interpreter
> extension on the name.
>
> If I keep UUIDcomp.sh in /usr/local/src/UUID, the above sequence would
> be:
>
> cd /usr/local/src/UUIDcomp
>
> sudo install UUIDcomp.sh /usr/local/bin/UUIDcomp
>
> I do not not add extensions to scripts, since I might decide to rewrite
> them in another language for performance reasons.  Unlikely in this
> case, but I do it for consistency.
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell

Hi and thanks for your feedback and suggestion !
You are correct and I have already solved it my way with UUIDcomp:

To execute it's placed in /usr/local/bin ...
... and the source is stored in /usr/local/own ...
... to be changed / improved if needed ! ;-)

We human too need 2 legs: One to stand and another to run !? ;-D

With my current location I may run into problems when reinstalling
Ubuntu from scratch:
Formatting and and reinstalling will delete both the directories and its
contents !

I better change the current source location to somewhere in my ITC
folder under /home !!

Cheers, svobi