UUID confusion revisited

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Tue Mar 25 15:04:40 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:56 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> sna at WS222:~$ UUIDcomp
> bash: /usr/local/bin/UUIDcomp: Permission denied
> sna at WS222:~$

Easier way to install scripts is:

sudo install <scriptname> /usr/local/bin

The install program sets all the permissions to make the script
executable for you. I always keep copies of any local scripts I write in
a source directory e.g. /usr/local/src, usually with the interpreter
extension on the name.

If I keep UUIDcomp.sh in /usr/local/src/UUID, the above sequence would
be:

cd /usr/local/src/UUIDcomp

sudo install UUIDcomp.sh /usr/local/bin/UUIDcomp

I do not not add extensions to scripts, since I might decide to rewrite
them in another language for performance reasons.  Unlikely in this
case, but I do it for consistency.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect