Home office printer recommendations?

Aaron C. de Bruyn ubuntu-users at darkpixel.com
Fri Mar 21 05:32:31 UTC 2008

I'm partial to the HP Officejet Pro K550.  It can connect via USB or
over the network (depending on the model you get).  My wife uses it for
printing pictures, and I occasionally dump an email or HTML receipt to
it.  If I remember correctly, the printer was around $350 (for the
network version) and it works out of the box with Ubuntu.  The only
thing that seems a little odd is that Ubuntu keeps telling me I'm low on
ink when I reach about 50%--although it could be the printer reporting
that instead of Ubuntu.

The only drawback is that it's a CMYK printer and  costs about $100 to
get the 4 cartridges of 'official' HP ink.  If you buy off-brand you can
usually get them for around $40.

As for wireless, I know HP has a few options--the K550 may even support
it.  If not, you can always plug it into a wireless access point or buy
specifically a wireless print spooler.

Hope that helps.

-Aaron