Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Mar 16 23:26:19 UTC 2008

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> su, 2008-03-16 kello 15:40 -0600, Karl Larsen kirjoitti:
>

>> Thanks and I think the Windows format has just one speed. All or none :-)
>>
>> It may be too big a problem to load windows after you have Linux installed.
>>

> You are not describing your situation clearly enough. Are you trying to
> set up a dual boot system, where you have both Windows XP and Ubuntu
> installed? If that's the case, it's best to install Windows XP first.
> Unless you have some very good reason, you should use NTFS file system
> for XP, because its better in many respects than FAT16 or FAT32. You can
> reformat your hard drive when you install XP. Just leave enough room for
> Ubuntu there.
>
> Here's more information about the process (not so easy for a newbie to
> find):
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ari Torhamo

    Hi Ari I have zero problems with windows overwriting the grub setup
because I can just put it back in. I can't load Windows first because I
have many Linux partitions working and have been working for many
months. I can't get the windows XP to even try to load in the 8 GB
/dev/hda1 partition. Windows 98 wants to format the ENTIRE hard drive
and will do nothing else :-)

Karl

ps: I will look at the pages you suggest.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User