7.10 remote access riddle

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 22:03:32 UTC 2008

Bernard Peek wrote:

    Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:40:53 +0000
    From: Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com>
    Subject: 7.10 remote access riddle
    To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com Message-ID:
    <frk0kv$rpj$1 at ger.gmane.org>

    I have a home network with a four port ADSL router with one of those
    ports connected to a further 8 port switch. I'm trying to connect a
    new box, it's a Creative Labs Slix. I've got 7.10 installed on it
    with its firewall running. The firewall is set to permit access from
    selected 192.168.0 addresses.

    When I connect it to the 8-port switch I can connect to the Slix
    with SSH or VNC from my laptop, which is one of the addresses
    allowed by the firewall rules. When I plug the Slix into the spare
    port of the router I can't connect using either VNC or SSH, although
    I can ping it. I'm using the same laptop, a known-good network cable
    and a known-good port on the router.

    Any idea what might be causing the problem?
    bap at shrdlu.com

Bernard,

Have you looked at your /etc/hosts.allow file to be sure the new IP
address is in there or allowed. The other thing is to be sure that it is
NOT included in the /etc/hosts.deny.

This is just a shot in the dark, however, it bit me once or twice.
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115