7.10 remote access riddle

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Mar 16 20:40:53 UTC 2008

I have a home network with a four port ADSL router with one of those
ports connected to a further 8 port switch. I'm trying to connect a new
box, it's a Creative Labs Slix. I've got 7.10 installed on it with its
firewall running. The firewall is set to permit access from selected
192.168.0 addresses.

When I connect it to the 8-port switch I can connect to the Slix with
SSH or VNC from my laptop, which is one of the addresses allowed by the
firewall rules. When I plug the Slix into the spare port of the router I
can't connect using either VNC or SSH, although I can ping it. I'm using
  the same laptop, a known-good network cable and a known-good port on
the router.

Any idea what might be causing the problem?

bap at shrdlu.com