Ubuntu server not enough stable

Sam Przyswa samp at arial-concept.com
Sun Mar 16 21:11:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I tested 4 machines, two of them on customers, on each I got problems

1 with postfix-MailScanner-Clamav the machine reboot 6 time a days and
after reboot the directories /var/run/MailScanner
and /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner are deleted !? and MailScanner can
restart (on Ubuntu Dapper) Have you an idea ?

2 on other machine on www.dedibox.fr Ubuntu 6.10 with
postfix-MailScanner-clamav the machine freeze 2 or 3 time a day I have
to hard reboot. After re-install the same machine with Debian etch with
the same apps everything work fine.

3 we replace old Debian machine with a new one with Ubuntu 7.10 and the
same wifi card doesn't work well on Ubuntu the flow (audio and video) is
transmitted and stopped some 1/10 of seconds sometime 5/10 of seconds
and the audio and video is cut, have you an idea ?

4 on new machine Ubuntu 7.10 the fax-modem on each call freeze all the
machine but the machine back when the call finiched, have you an idea ?

My best fix at this time was to install Debian etch server instead of
Ubuntu, I think that for Desktop Ubuntu was good, I installed 2 machines
of mine in Ubuntu Gnome it's (much) better than Windows. I don't main if
I have to reboot sometime, 1 or 2 time a week, but on production
Ubuntu-server is not enough stable. I noticed with MailScanner on
different versions, I don't know why, but on each I got a never seen
problems on Debian and we work on Linux Debian about 6 years.

Sorry for that but we have to rebuild two customers machines on Debian
Etch, lot of work, lot of time loose and money too.

Sam.

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.

--
For all your IT requirements visit: http://www.transtec.co.uk