Installation problem

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 13 01:02:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 05:40:57PM -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/11/2008 04:51 PM, James wrote:
> > In trying to install Ubuntu 7.1 from the cd that I burned from the
> > website I get to the 'Prepare partitions' window and get the error
> > message 'No root file system defined' Please correct this from the
> > partitioning menu.

It may be that you are confused by the words "root file system" .

In Linux, this refers to the symbol " / " which is the "top" of the
file system. So, to define your root file system, enter / in the
relevant field of the partitioner.

All directories ("folders") in the system are sub-directories of /
For example,

/root /usr /home /media and so on.

There are no "drive letters" like " C ",  as in Windows. All
filesystems
are defined under the root / directory.

...just guessing a bit, because the information you have given is very
sketchy...

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net