External USB hard drive "loosing" connection [Maxtor onetouch]

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Mar 12 18:24:29 UTC 2008

Hemant Bist wrote:
> I will try remounting the drive from the script.[ Its a sbackup
> package crontab  running as root.]
>
> I also suspect that its due to sleep mode. Could it have something to with
> the fact that I reformatted the drive to ext3 from NTFS?

    Was the hard drive not mounted? What did the program mkfs.ext3 end
with after it quit?

> I found this article claiming that there is no problem with Maxtor drives.[
> http://www.engadget.com/profile/1588927/].

    Maxtor has a long history of failure. I will never buy one. I buy
only Western Digital because I have a giant 40 MB one I bought in 1985
and it is still good. All the newer ones are good.
> Here are the errors I see in syslog.
>
> .
>

>  localhost kernel: [174463.681864] sd 1:0:0:0: Device not ready.
>  localhost kernel: [174463.681885] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
> 4655

    This looks bad. Ubuntu doesn't use sda, it uses hda.