Installing Apache 1 (but not Apache 2)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 5 14:28:29 UTC 2008

shaap at uhweb64208.united-hoster.com wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:55:06AM -0300, Sebastian Bassi wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to install apache and perl in 6.06.2 (LTS).
>> So I did:
>> sbassi at ubuntuMAP:~$ sudo apt-get install apache perl
>> Here you can see what I got:
>> http://pastebin.com/f48278ba6
>>
>> So the question is: Who do I install ONLY Apache1?
>
> The "apache[-common]" package version "1.3.34-2ubuntu0.1" would be
> installed when running "apt-get" is priviledged user.

I'm not sure I understand either the question _or_ the answer.  I don't
think the question was really "who" but "how".

You _can't_ install only apache (and _WHY_ would you not install apache2?).

I think you really must be asking why you got the "apache2-utils" package,
and I have to admit I'm not sure - it doesn't seem like it should be a
dependency of apache.

otoh, if you're really asking why your install _failed_, you should probably
have given us the next couple of lines of output...
--
derek