Multiple gnome sessions for 1 user in Gutsy

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 5 01:41:58 UTC 2008

On 03/04/2008 12:54 PM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:06 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> They don't?  I can have multiple simultaneous KDE sessions (thankfully! I
>> rely heavily on it) and I can't see why Gnome should be different.
>
> Because it's broken in this regard.
>
>> It shouldn't "break" the session, but the session you get restored at next
>> login will always be the one from which you last logged out
>
> Last time I tried it, the second login session was already completely
> messed up.

I just figured out that you can do multiples if you:

System|Administration|Login Window| and uncheck 'Disable multiple logins
for a single user'. That said: it appears that one of the logins can
close out a session with reboot etc and it kills all others with no
notification. This has pretty hazardous effects & I think that there
actually is an old bug report regarding this in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/