aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George donny008 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:15:17 UTC 2008

well i did take the screen shot, but its can be saved only on the desktop, i
was not able to save it to the shared c drive(windows drive) it said about
wrong parameters. i am sorry if its something silly, but i am really new to
linux as a whole.

don

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 8:22 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 07:45 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Donny George wrote:
> > > /dev/hda1 fat32 20 GB(my windows xp main drive)
> > > /dev/hda2 (lock symbol) external 8.55GB(my lost windows drive with
> > > data)
> >
> > Probably you mean extended instead of external. But the extended
> partition
> > is only a container for more partitions, so the data are probably here:
> >
> > > /dev/hda5 (lock symbol) linux swap 8.07 GB(no clue wat this is )
> >
> > This might be your Windows data partition with a wrong partition type.
> >
> > > /dev/hda6(lock symbol) linux swap 494.16MB(i beleive this is the real
> > > linux swap)
> >
> > The size looks reasonable for the real swap partition.
> >
> > > /dev/hda3 ext3 9.79GB(the space i gave for ubuntu)
> >
> > Didn't we have something similar one or two weeks ago? Maybe there
> really
> > is something wrong with the installer for non-standard partition
> layouts.
> > What looks strange to me here is the fact that the Ubuntu installation
> > went to a primary partition after the extended partition was resized.
> Can
> > you post the file /etc/fstab from your Ubuntu installation?
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but using fdisk I would change the
> > partition type of hda5 and make it ntfs. Hopefully the swap partition
> was
> > not formatted - then the data might be visible again.
> >

> > Nils
>
> GParted has a LiveCD wiith more accurate version 3.4.11 than the one in
> Ubuntu 7.10 !!!
>
> I would recommend downloading it from here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828
>
> One benefit is with Ubuntu's integrated "Partition Editior = GParted":
> Getting the devices displayed one can screenshoot with Ubuntu's tool
> under
> Applications / Accessoires / Take Screenshoot ! ;-)
>
> Save it as file and compare it with fstab & menu.lst !!
>
> This, and of course help from this cool list, has saved my
> installations !!! ;-D
>
> Cheers, svobi

Donny George
Lugostraße 14,