aftermath of an ubuntu installation

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon Mar 3 07:22:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 07:45 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Donny George wrote:
> > /dev/hda1 fat32 20 GB(my windows xp main drive)
> > /dev/hda2 (lock symbol) external 8.55GB(my lost windows drive with
> > data)
>
> Probably you mean extended instead of external. But the extended partition
> is only a container for more partitions, so the data are probably here:
>
> > /dev/hda5 (lock symbol) linux swap 8.07 GB(no clue wat this is )
>
> This might be your Windows data partition with a wrong partition type.
>
> > /dev/hda6(lock symbol) linux swap 494.16MB(i beleive this is the real
> > linux swap)
>
> The size looks reasonable for the real swap partition.
>
> > /dev/hda3 ext3 9.79GB(the space i gave for ubuntu)
>
> Didn't we have something similar one or two weeks ago? Maybe there really
> is something wrong with the installer for non-standard partition layouts.
> What looks strange to me here is the fact that the Ubuntu installation
> went to a primary partition after the extended partition was resized. Can
> you post the file /etc/fstab from your Ubuntu installation?
>
> I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but using fdisk I would change the
> partition type of hda5 and make it ntfs. Hopefully the swap partition was
> not formatted - then the data might be visible again.
>

> Nils

GParted has a LiveCD wiith more accurate version 3.4.11 than the one in
Ubuntu 7.10 !!!

I would recommend downloading it from here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=173828

One benefit is with Ubuntu's integrated "Partition Editior = GParted":
Getting the devices displayed one can screenshoot with Ubuntu's tool
under
Applications / Accessoires / Take Screenshoot ! ;-)

Save it as file and compare it with fstab & menu.lst !!

This, and of course help from this cool list, has saved my
installations !!! ;-D

Cheers, svobi