problem playing Car Talk

David Curtis dcurtis at uniserve.com
Thu Jun 26 03:46:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 14:41 -0400, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Until today I was able to play this radio program (it's on NPR).  Then
> along came the latest update and I no longer can.
>
> When I attempt to play it, mplayer plug opens in Firefox. This mplayer
> plug in says its a video player but the radio program is obviously not
> video.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> Gary

What did you have installed to handle smil files before the update?

What does 'about:plugins' in the address field of firefox tell you?

What does Edit-> Preferences-> Applications tell you about smil files?

A smil files is just a container for the audio stream (in this case I
believe cartalk uses rm (realmedia) format). But I only know of
RealPlayer and Helix reading smil files.

Dave