PLEASE HELP!!!

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 02:08:09 UTC 2008

OK, here is the deal, are you listening, I am still having WiFi problems
with Ubuntu on my laptop.

The model is an Acer Aspire 4520, it has a wireless adapter which
Windows identifies as an Atheros AR5007EG 802.11b/g Wireless Adapter.
After checking Atheros' website they link to the MadWiFi drivers on
SourceForge.com for this specific adapter.  I learned here in this
support group that Ubuntu already has the MadWiFi drivers at the time of
installation so I did a full complete reinstall of Ubuntu ... the 64bit
Edition since the 32bit edition won't boot on this machine for some reason.

So here's the deal.  In the Restricted Drivers screen under
System~>Administration two drivers show up as Enabled (there is a check
in the box next to them) and their Status says "IN USE".  These are
"Support for Atheros Hardware Abstraction Layer" and Support for Atheros
802.11 Wireless Adapters".  A third is there but that's my Nvidia card.

So, as suggested by people in this group I went to the Network panel
applet, right clicked, and selected Edit Wireless Network.  On the next
screen there are no wireless networks shown and I cannot create a new
wireless connection on this screen.

I looked in Help and it suggested running "sudo lshw -C network" to see
if there was actually a driver.  It displays only "PCI (sysfs)" and just
sits there.  "iwconfig" displays this message:

lo                  No Wireless Extensions

Eth0             No Wireless Extensions

The "internal" WiFi adapter CAN be turned on and off with a button on a
button bar at the top of the keyboard, but this button bar is driven by
a piece of  "Acer Empowerment" software in Windows and I doubt it works
in Linux.  I pressed it anyway and nothing happens.  Above this button
is an activity light for the WiFi adapter.  In Linux this light is
dark.  While Ubuntu detected my adapter and installed drivers for it I
still can't get it to work at all.  Does anyone here have any
suggestions?  PLEASE!

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com