cant log in at all

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:51:29 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:18:04 +0200
> From: "Donny George" <donny008 at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> Am Mittwoch, den 25.06.2008, 15:09 +0200 schrieb Donny George:
>> > is there any way to return to the previous settings like we do in
>> > windows.
>> i doubt there is any way to recover windows from someone who manually
>> starts to replace .dll's from a command.com shell which seems to be
>> similar to what ou did to your system ...
>>
>> you could try to reinstall every xserver-xorg related package (search in
>> synaptic for installed packages with that sting in the name) to
>> overwrite what you copied over ... but that will take a lot of time and
>> not guarantee that you dont have any cruft of these tarballs left in the
>> end so that i guess a reinstall might be the easier and way less time
>> consumng solution ...
>>
>> ciao
>>        oli
>>

>> --
>>
>> hey oli
>
> i cant log into the desktop then how will i access the synaptic manager, the
> problem if i do a reinstall is that i will loose all my earlier settings. it
> took almost a week to configure many things on my desktop so that it would
> be compatible for many of the things that i need to work with. is there any
> way at all to roll back the changes made
>

> donny

It looks like you installed it from one of their stupid binary
packages. I would suggest getting the sources, and deinstalling X;
these instructions should give you a basic outline:

~ $ wget ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.7.0/source/XFree86-4.7.0-src-1.tgz

~ $ tar zxf XFree86-4.7.0-src-1.tgz

~ $ cd xc

~/xc $ ./configure

- snip -

/xc $ sudo make uninstall

or

$ sudo make deinstall

depending on which the XF86 people chose to use. This will try to
clear out all the files that XF86 installed.

then

$ sudo aptitude -f purge xorg xorg-libs

$ sudo aptitude install xorg xorg-libs

This is a last-ditch attempt, and is pretty crude. It probably won't
work, and will certainly screw some things up. All it _might_ do is at
least get X working again, so you can back up your stuff if you're
uncomfortable with the terminal.

Good luck

Chris