wlan0 not ready (WAS Re: ath_pci, ndiswrapper & blacklist)

Ed Jabbour ejbr at att.net
Wed Jun 25 15:42:24 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 10:09:00 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > Trying to setup wireless with an Atheros chipset - ar242x.  Got
> > ndiswrapper
> > and setup went w/ no error messages.  However, ndiswrapper -l shows
> > ath_pci
> > as an "alternate driver".  I blacklisted ath_pci and ath_hal and
> > uninstalled
> > the restricted drivers.  There is no ath_anything loaded.  Where is that
> > alternate driver coming from, and how do I stop it?
>
> You dont need to. I run a Broadcom driver under ndiswrapper, and
> ndiswrapper tells me that bcm43xx is an alternate driver, it is
> blacklisted, and everything works.  ndis tells you that the alternate
> driver _exists_ it doesn't say it's using it, afaik

OK.  dmesg has the right messages regarding ndiswrapper and the driver
(net5211)  except for the following:

 ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

I thought the reason was that ath_pci, but if that's not the problem, then it
isn't.  I've googled and searched the forum, but can't find a solution.  Any
hints, pointers, etc. as to where to start solving this greatly appreciated.