can't burn DVD of directory w/hidden files

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:41:23 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:25:11 -0700 (MST)
> From: Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net>
>
> Tried both CD/DCD Creator and Brasero. Works well with no hidden files
> included. When I include the hidden files I get an error message:
>
> "There was an error writing to the disc:
> Unhandled error, aborting"
>
> What's the magic spell to be able to backup $HOME w/ hidden files
> included?
>
> www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html talks about creating an
> iso image of the directory using  "mkisofs" claiming this will preserve
> hidden files. Is this the way it's necessary to go?
>
>  --
> Bob Holtzman

To be honest, I always tend to use tar for backing up my home;

$ tar jcvf backup.tbz ~

Can't quite remember if it includes dotfiles by default, but someone
else will clarify (I'm on Vista atm).

Burn this file to your disc.

Another cool trick is to burn the tar file to the disc such that there
is no filesystem, but the device /dev/acd0 becomes the tar file; raw
burning. Squeezes a little more space out of the CD.

Chris