can't burn DVD of directory w/hidden files

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 25 06:38:00 UTC 2008

Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Tried both CD/DCD Creator and Brasero. Works well with no hidden files
> included. When I include the hidden files I get an error message:
>
> "There was an error writing to the disc:
> Unhandled error, aborting"
>
> What's the magic spell to be able to backup $HOME w/ hidden files
> included?
>
> www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html talks about creating an
> iso image of the directory using  "mkisofs" claiming this will preserve
> hidden files. Is this the way it's necessary to go?

Most probably you'll benefit from using the -r flag to mkisofs which
includes Rock-ridge extensions. Adding -J shouldn't hurt either.

AFAIK, a leading period is invalid in a file name on ISO9660, but
Rock-ridge makes it work out.

The information on the page you linked to seems good, and it gives
examples of invoking mkisofs using the -r and -J flags.