hardy nvidia fx 5200 resolution

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jun 24 21:17:54 UTC 2008

Alfred JILKA wrote:
> Michael "TheZorch" Haney schrieb:
>> Arvind K wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,just untar the source you downloaded to somewhere and then do to
>>> terminal , change your directory the untarred directory using
>>> cd /path/to/directory/
>>>
>>> then just type
>>> sudo ./run
>>> and then type sudo make install if needed....
>>> My Fingerprint:1024D/45CA88FF
>>>
>>> The box said Windoze or better,so i installed Linux
>>>
>> You don't even need to do that.  Get the drivers through Synaptic by
>> just Enabling the Nvidia restricted driver in the Hardware Drivers
>> applet on the System~>Administration menu.  After that open a
>> terminal window and use:
>>
>> sudo displayconfig-gtk
>>
>> A new window will appear.  You still won't be able to change your
>> resolution until you select what kind of monitor you have.  Select
>> your monitor or a generic monitor settings from the menu on this
>> applet and then you can select a higher resolution.
>>
>> There is a flaw in the Screen Resolution applet on the Administration
>> menu which doesn't give you the option of selecting your monitor type.
>>

> Hi,
> you might as well give "Envy" a try. Although I run a NV8600 where it
> really helped to do the job, I might be just as well a solution for you,
> all the best, Alfred

    I do not understand. When I re-loaded Gutsy and loaded this Hardy
the first time I brought the system up from the hard drive it asked me
if I wanted a non-ubuntu file loaded. I said yes both times and it
loaded the ubuntu version of the good nVidia software. I had a kernel
update on Hardy and it included the necessary kernel driver(s).

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User