hibernation problem

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 24 17:56:22 UTC 2008

Please don't top post.  It makes it hard to have a conversation:

Mem:       1025972     988224      37748          0          0     249564
-/+ buffers/cache:     738660     287312
Swap:      3004112     129140    2874972

I wrote:
> If Mem/Used is less than Swap/Free, you have a problem.

oops.  I did it again.  Last time I discussed this, I got that backwards,
too.

So, it's if Mem/used is GREATER (next time this comes up, everybody just
please assume I have it backwards!!!) than Swap/Free, then you may not be
able to save the memory image.

Basically, hibernation involves swapping _all_ physical memory out to the
swap file.  Some pages that aren't needed will be discarded, and there may
be some compression, so you _can_ squeeze the memory into a swap file that
looks too small, but that's the first place to look.

Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I am not sure how to interpret the results so need your assistance:
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:        385264     359296      25968          0       9200      97128
> -/+ buffers/cache:     252968     132296
> Swap:       891568     140136     751432

So, in your case, you have more than twice as much free space as physical
memory used, which should be just fine.  Still, try closing down everything
possible, and see if you still can't hibernate.  Also, check
your /boot/grub/menu.lst. Once upon a time, it was necessary to specify
your hibernate partition in the boot command, but it isn't any more.  At
least once it turned out the problem a user had was an old 'resume=' option
specifying a partition that didn't actually exist.
--
derek