wakeup problem from suspend bug report help request

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 24 12:51:36 UTC 2008

Oguz Yarimtepe wrote:

>> What's "general" about it?  Most people don't have this problem (those
>> who do seem mostly to have problems waking up at all)
>>

> I encountered with many entries at the ubuntu forums even blog entries
> related with the suspend/wake up problem.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/242344

Lots of people have wakeup problems, but generally they're configuration
errors (now, if you want to file a bug about how Ubuntu's suspend defaults
are wrong [I'm not sure whether that's true] or how identification of
particularly workarounds could be accomplished, I'm all for it.

> I realised at the first normal return from suspend, it reades disk
> while powering up. But at my second try just powering up and no disk
> reading occurs. Here queno had the same problem with me. But he solved
> his problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=770147

This well illustrates my point.  You say that your problem is not what I've
tried to diagnose for you, but failure to POST the video on restart is
_exactly_ what that thread is about.

> Mine is not sony Vaio and i dont know which modules should be in
> blacklist.

fwiw, this problem has nothing to do with Sony VAIO and everything to do
with the particular video card in use.

Putting modules into /etc/modprobe.d/ blacklists to fix suspend/resume
problems is like kicking the display to stop it from showing you annoying
messages!  The poster said he'd blacklisted uvcvideo "with no bad
consequences".  Just wait until he actually wants to use his webcam...
What you do is edit either /etc/default/acpi-suppport (adding the modules
to the MODULES= line) or /usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults (adding the modules to
the SUSPEND_MODULES= line) or probably both.  I'd add that comment to the
ubuntuforums thread except they keep losing my login...

Are all these set in /etc/default/acpi-support?
SAVE_VBE_STATE=true
VBESTATE=/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate
POST_VIDEO=true
USE_DPMS=true

Then try all of these (you should really do them one at a time, so that you
know which works):
SAVE_VIDEO_PCI_STATE=true
DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true
RADEON_LIGHT=true
RESET_DRIVE=true

Then, because I can't get any official word on whether acpi-support is
really still used, we do the same in pm-utils:
HIBERNATE_RESUME_POST_VIDEO="yes"

Finally, if none of these work, try installing uswsusp (a different
implementation of hibernate/suspend).
--
derek