skype popup message

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 24 12:57:29 UTC 2008

Catalin David wrote:

> ALSA tries to take over
> the sound card (because through alsa you, usually, output only 1 sound
> at a time, no multiple sources permitted, like in PulseAudio or dmixer),

That's not true.  ALSA is a sound daemon, just like PulseAudio or ESD.  It
takes multiple inputs and outputs them to the sound card. _Some_ sound
daemon needs to own the card because most _cards_ aren't capable of taking
more than one input.  I suppose you could make everything else use ALSA if
you can't use Pulse with Skype.  It's a sleazy workaround, though.
--
derek