Ubuntu 7.04 on Asus X80Lseries

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 11:37:53 UTC 2008

Wahidur Rahman wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m a new user of Ubuntu and want to install 7.04 version to my Asus
> X80Lseries.
>
> My Laptop configuration is as follows:
>
> CPU: Intel Dual Core (Duo T2370)
>
> Display: 14” WXGA
>
> Ram: 1GB
>
> HDD: 120GB SATA
>
> Graphic: Intel 965 Chipset
>
> Wireless: 802.11b/g
>
> Please help me how to proceed to install Ubuntu 7.04?

I think you mean 8.04, right? Ok, first of all we need to know what
you'd tried first in an attempt to install Ubuntu. Did you download a CD
image .iso file or did you order a free CD from the website. From your
configuration you're laptop seems fairly recent so it should be able to
boot from the CD/DVD-ROM drive. All modern desktop and laptops should be
able to do this. You have two options for installing Ubuntu, 1. you can
install Ubuntu by resizing your Windows partition and creating a Linux
partition. The guided installer for Ubuntu 8.04 should help you along
through this process, and I'm sure others here will give you further
pointers. If you want to install Ubuntu "without" altering your Windows
partition you can always use Wubi. After inserting the Ubuntu CD into
your CD/DVD-ROM drive it should autostart and come up to a Menu. The
option "Install Inside Windows" will launch Wubi, a program which will
create a virtual hard drive inside of a file on your computer that
Ubuntu will boot to when you choose Ubuntu on your start up menu after
turning the power on. This is a straight forward install method because
Wubi handles everything via a pre-made script. When the setup screen for
Wubi does appear you'll be asked for how large a virtual drive you want
to create, what hard drive you want it to be be installed on if you have
more than one, and to also choose your login name and password. After
that you click Install and it does it all for you, then you reboot,
choose Ubuntu from the start up menu and the install process is automatic.

I don't think the Intel Core Dual is 64bit. I'm certain the Core 2 Dual
I know definitely is, so you are probably safer with the 32bit version
of Ubuntu. If you downloaded the .iso CD image file you don't even need
to burn it to a CD unless you plan to do the regular install by resizing
partitions. To just install via Wubi use a virtual CD/DVD=ROM drive
program for Windows called Daemon Tools to mount the CD image file of
Ubuntu. A CD is not required to be in the drive when installing Ubuntu
via Wubi.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com