Lets face Ubuntu 8.04

Santiago Hernández Lemes santi84 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:01:14 UTC 2008

*I have dual boot xp and ubuntu 8.04 studio.  The only reason I keep xp
is I have friends that use Skype that I like to talk with and they will
not go with any linux programs.
*
Douglas:

Ubuntu has Skype, just dowload it and install from skype.com...

2008/6/23 Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at comcast.net>:

> I have dual boot xp and ubuntu 8.04 studio.  The only reason I keep xp
> is I have friends that use Skype that I like to talk with and they will
> not go with any linux programs.  The other thing is I use Premeire 6.5
> for video editing.  Linux is coming along where video is concerned so at
> some point I will be using an open sourse video editor.  There are a
> couple I like but they are just not good enough yet to suit me.  I will
> likely never go to the new ( what ever it's name is) windows program.
> Have been messing with Vm ware but so far not able to get it to get it
> to work.  I will likely go their at some point. One nice thing is if you
> stay off line with windows, viruses are not to big a problem.  My chip
> is AMD 64 so I can't install Skype and I am hopeing they will fix that.
> I would really like my friends to go to Pigion but they are stubborn and
> insist I use Skype ,maybe they are trying to get rid of me.  I can't
> figure out why Skype is so tight with their code secrets it' not like
> they have anything everyone wants to steal the whole thing is just OK
> and no more, in my opinion.
>
>   Doug
>

> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Derek Broughton wrote:

> >> It's _not_ a Windows bashing thread - if anyone's being bashed, it's the
> >> people who claim that Ubuntu isn't usable by (any) comparison with
> Windows.
> >> There can be any number of reasons why somebody would prefer to use one
> >> over the other, but I am thoroughly convinced that, by now, that's
> exactly
> >> what it is: preference.  In no way can Windows be described as "better".
> >>

> >     It depends I think on the person making the claim. If a person has
> > been using Windows exclusively for 10 years is asked if Windows is
> > better you get a sure! But ask me who have used Linux for the same
> > period I say, for me Linux is much better than Windows. I have both in
> > my home and my wife "who know all" is a dedicated Windows user. But all
> > Windows needs to do is get email from my children and play soltaire :-)
> > She wants me to get her a MAC. It will be a nice Christmas present.
> >
> > Karl

Santiago Hernández
http://www.tulugar.com.uy
http://www.twitter.com/santius