problem moving a user's home directory to a new, location, ***SOLVED**

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 19:15:44 UTC 2008

Folks,

After nearly destroying my entire home directory (thanks for good back
ups). I was finally able to get my home directory relocated...

I resorted to the big hammer method.... I created a new user in the
/home2 partition.. moved the info contained in the directory I wanted to
move to a safe place. Then copied all the info from the new user into
that directory after removing everything. Logged in and logged out after
making sure that the login worked and everything was where it should be.
Then copied  my other files into the modified directory and things are
better.

Not the cleanest of solutions, however, at a couple of points I was not
able to log in using either /home/jay or /home2/jay...

I still have no idea what I did wrong in the first place..

But I am back together now.

Cheers,
Jay

--