iBook G4 12" 768MB RAM error: hda: task_in_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 15:21:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 15:52:40 +1000
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

PG> On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 22:08:28 -0700
PG> Brian Tillman <mailinglists at briantillman.com> wrote:
PG>
PG> > On Jun 21, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Peter Garrett wrote:
PG>
PG> [snip]
PG> > > Am I right in thinking that this Toshiba / Mac 30 Gig hard drive
PG> > > is dead?
PG> [snip]
PG>
PG> > I think you've hit the nail on the head
PG>
PG> Sadly, it looks like it... thanks for the confirmation...

I think it should be possible to get the old disk out and replace it but
it's unlikely to be easy -- I have done it on a G3 iBook, but without a
detailed instruction set I suspect I'd either not have got it apart or
had bits left over. One thing you need to check is whether there are
clearance restrictions on the G4 iBook (the G3 won't take all laptop
disks, only those strictly less than 1cm thick).

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |